About the Position
This position will embrace and advance new opportunities for robotics research in manufacturing, and leverage the links with other disciplines across QUT and CSIRO such as Interaction Design, Architecture, Business and Medical Engineering.
As a champion in your field you are an experienced and enthusiastic industry focused academic well versed in senior leadership and looking to catalyse new opportunities in the rapidly evolving field of advanced robotics for manufacturing.
Your experience proves an ability to bridge the gap between fundamental research and industry implementation, as demonstrated by high quality publications, research projects and successful grants.
We seek someone with a broad vision for the emerging research areas in robotics; with a focus on advanced manufacturing, collaborative robotics, field robotics or medical robotics, and robotic vision-based perception and control.
You will provide national and international leadership and linkage across disciplines, industry, government and regulators, for real world impact.
You will also have the opportunity to foster excellence in teaching within the university by making a contribution to teaching and learning.
This critical position will sit within the School of Electrical Engineering and Robotics and collaborate across QUT, CSIRO and the Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing Hub (ARM Hub).
This position reports to the Head of School for supervision, workload management and for Performance Planning and Review (PPR). Day to day activities will be directed by the CEO of the ARM Hub.
Key responsibilities include:
To ensure job flexibility the successful appointee may be required to:
- Provide leadership in the advancement of robotics and autonomous systems research, with applications to manufacturing.
- Building QUT and CSIRO’s research capacity and impact by attracting government and industry funded research income, catalysing new collaborations, leading research teams, and enabling academic colleagues.
- Initiate, build and strengthen relationships between QUT, CSIRO, ARM Hub, industry, government, regulators and the community. Help communicate with, and communicate information to these stakeholders.
- Publication of academic research papers, supervision of research staff.
- Service to QUT through mentoring, participation in relevant academic committees, assistance with student recruitment activities and extra-curricular student events.
- Contributing to the academic research community through appropriate engagement with conference organisation, journal manuscript reviewing.
- Supervision of student projects at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Implementing and administering University policy within the Faculty with respect to equitable access to education and workplace health and safety.
- perform any other duties as nominated by the University consistent with the relevant classification descriptors detailed in the Enterprise Agreement. Staff undertaking any new duties will receive training;
- participate in job rotation or multiskilling in consultation with their supervisor;
- work across campuses
Type of appointment
This appointment will be offered on an ongoing, full-time basis.
Gardens Point campus (predominate base), with time at CSIRO QCAT Pullenvale and the ARM Hub Northgate (all in Brisbane).
For further information about the position, please contact Jonathan Roberts, Professor in Robotics, QUT Centre for Robotics and Technical Director ARM Hub, on +61 73138 2437; or for further information about working at QUT contact Bridget Heins, HR Business Partner on +61 7 466 928 314.
We welcome you to learn more about ARM Hub here.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please visit www.qut.edu.au/jobs for reference number 20573. When applying for this position your application must include the following:
- A current resume including a list of publications
- A statement of claims addressing the selection criteria
- The names and contact details of two referees
Applications close: 8 November 2020