The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for delivering software solutions that provide a capability to ERM Power to implement its strategic plans as well as to flex to meet its future business goals.
This role requires an AWS Senior Software Engineer and Agilist with skills and experience to work with several technologies and architectural approaches to uplift ERM’s technical capability and remediate technical debt. The Senior Software Engineer will work collaboratively with the Engineering Lead (Trading) and Spot Trading team to create, support and enhance products and areas of functionality it owns. The cradle to grave solution approach embraces our DevOps model and is delivered in alignment with our values and culture.
To be successful in this role, in addition to your excellent technical capabilities, you will shape your squad’s way of working by fostering and applying modern engineering practices to solve problems and agile principles to deliver valuable business outcomes. You will exemplify self-organising behaviours, a continuous improvement mindset and an inclusive one-team culture. You will help support Cloud adoption, Test Automation, CI/CD, Site Reliability Engineering and new Application Architectures (specifically Microservice Architectures and Event Driven Application Architectures) in your squad. You will be supported by the Engineering Leads, Architecture, IT Enablement and QA teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with product owners to create, refine, estimate and elaborate your team’s backlog of work and clarify ambiguity;
- Work with squad members, architects, data scientists and/or business stakeholders as necessary to produce “just enough” design (including coaching others to improve their designs);
- Ensure trading systems are well designed and built such that they are highly available and redundant, with the goal of no financial loss due to system issues;
- Provide as needed out of hours support for the trading systems;
- Support your Engineering Lead to introduce and mature modern software engineering practices in your squad;
- Participate in the architectural design of product increments;
- Develop high-quality DevOps friendly software features, components, and modules which incorporate key cross functional requirements such as scalability, fault tolerance and security;
- Work in concert with quality assurance specialists to ensure your deliverables have an appropriate level of unit, integration and/or functional tests that can be measured against a user story’s defined acceptance criteria;
- Put in place Continuous Integration and Build practices to meet the organisation’s quality standards;
- Be accountable for day-to-day operation of software features, components, services, or modules owned by you and your team – we believe in “you build it, you run it”; and
- Support your team to remove technical impediments and pay down technical debt.
Additionally, you will be expected to:
We'd love to hear from you if:
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvement;
- Proactively seek input from other colleagues; and
- Support and mentor more junior colleagues.
You are a self-motivated individual who enjoys working constructively and collaboratively with their peers in a high performing environment, along with:
What sets us apart from the rest?
- Experience working with AWS Cloud environment with services such as:
- Infrastructure (AWS Cloud Formation, AWS VPC, AWS IAM);
- Compute (AWS EC2, AWS Lambda);
- Storage (AWS S3);
- Data (AWS RDS, DynamoDB);
- Virtualisation/Containerisation, Kubernetes highly regarded;
- Integrations (AWS SQS, AWS SNS, AWS Step Functions)
- Excellent engineering skills across a range of technologies (full stack for preference) with advanced skills in an area of specialisation. Specific skill areas include:
- One of:
- C# development skills, deep knowledge of .NET Framework and understanding of.NET Core, deploying .NET Core to AWS;
- Strong Python or Typescript development experience, preferably in conjunction with AWS services;
- T-Sql development skills, with a deep knowledge of database design and data analysis skills
- Experience in modern engineering practices – branching strategies, testing - TDD, CI/CD, instrumentation;
- Agile maturity including knowledge of Scrum and XP practices as well as an ability to coach others in their use;
- Confident collaboration style that encourages swarming to achieve sprint goals and deliver as a team;
- Experience with virtualisation and cloud solutions and how these can be applied to complex enterprise systems;
- Experience with a variety of architectural patterns, including Microservices and event-driven platforms;
- Experience applying integration technologies, including messaging middleware and modern API-driven approaches;
- The ability to balance the long term (“big picture”) and short-term implications of individual decisions;
- Strong Stakeholder management skills;
- A firm grasp on the latest technology trends;
- Full lifecycle IT Systems delivery experience in complex environments;
- Innovative and questioning nature to explore ideas and prototype solutions;
- A drive to find the root cause of issues and resolve them so that they never recur;
- Experience within the Energy industry, especially in Trading (NEM, WEM, or Gas) and the associated data, highly regarded;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and influence broad communities of technical experts, regardless of reporting lines
At ERM Power we really value our culture and the way we work together to get stuff done. ERM has strong employee engagement consistent with global high performing norms because people love to work here – and we're proud of that! The work environment is Agile and fast-paced, with a strong emphasis on outcomes.
- Fantastic Incentive Scheme, Income Protection Insurance, Purchase additional annual leave and more!
- Ability to innovate in a company that not only encourages it but will facilitate it
- A flexible, supportive and productive working environment.
How to Apply
Please apply via the link on our website, here.
To request a copy of the Position Description, please email email@example.com.
For more information, head to our website http://ermpower.com.au/
At ERM Power, we are an equal opportunity employer and recognise the value in having a diverse workforce. We strive to create an inclusive environment for all employees. Should you wish to have a conversation about what makes ERM Power a great place to work or for more information about this opportunity, please schedule a call with Nicole Szelag, HR Administrator here: https://calendly.com/nszelag/rolequery.