Suited to Success Ltd (STS) is a not-for-profit community organisation helping people overcome barriers to employment. Originally established in 2008, as an incorporated association in Queensland, STS completed the transition to a public company limited by guarantee on 22 August 2017 operating under its Constitution.
Our programs are delivered by a small, dedicated team of qualified staff and trained volunteers including counsellors, social and human services professionals and human resource specialists. We provide programs and services from our premises in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane including the Dress for Success® Brisbane (DFS) program for women.
The Board of STS is a working Board with up to 8 directors and a Company Secretary/Public Officer. With less than 5 FTE staff, directors may have responsibility for a specific operational area working closely with management until responsibilities are transferred to a funded operational position.
Our Vision Inspiring hope and self-belief for brighter futures Our Mission Building skills and confidence for employability to thrive in work and life Our Values Making a difference – respect – professionalism – compassion
At present, we require a Company Secretary and Public Officer who will be responsible for managing governance and statutory compliance requirements relating to board processes, including the management of board and sub-committee meetings. The role will be of an advisory nature relating to board members’ legal obligations and compile and submit appropriate reporting to government agencies and reporting bodies.
As the Public Officer, the role will be the official representative of dealings with government agencies and be the authorised person for the ABN and ACNC
This is a voluntary role, without remuneration. The position has is not a director or an officer of the company under the Corporations Act and has no voting rights.
- Maintain meeting schedules in accordance with the Constitution and statutory requirements,
- Call Board and General meetings, and prepare and issue notices and agendas for meetings
- Advise the Board about statutory requirements for meetings and decisions Keep and distribute full and accurate minutes of meetings and records of decisions
- Maintain proper records and notify relevant authorities of changes to the STS Board Advise the Board on matters pertaining to the STS Constitution and policies that may impact on meeting processes and items of business Advise the Board on statutory compliance requirements relevant to STS as a public company limited by guarantee, and as a registered charity Advise Board members on their legal obligations as directors
- Compile and submit returns to relevant State and Federal government agencies and reporting bodies Maintain a register of Members, and notify relevant authorities of any changes
- As Public Officer, be the official representative of STS in dealings with relevant government agencies Responsible for meeting STS’s obligations under section 252 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936
- Be the authorised person or agent for the ABN and the ACNC
- Ensure the administrative processes of STS are adequate for the safe and secure storage of official STS correspondence, records and property for required periods
What you will bring
- Qualified to hold the position under the Corporations Act 2001
- Knowledge of corporate governance and statutory compliance requirements, with previous experience in the not-for-profit sector preferred
- Experience in minute taking and management of organisational records
- Proven experience in advice to board members on constitution, legal obligations and statutory compliance.
- Thorough understanding of the obligations for reporting and submissions to relevant government agencies and other reporting bodies
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong communications
- Ability to function effectively aa a collaborative team member and cultivate positive working relationships Committed to working within the parameters of our values
Attendance at Meetings
Board meetings are held bi-monthly, generally on the third Thursday of the month, at 4:30pm. Attendance is in person at the STS offices in Fortitude Valley, or via Skype depending on the practicality. Between meetings, interaction occurs through various committees, phone and email.
The various committees meet at times convenient to the committee members.
Expressing an interest in the position
If you are interested in exploring this opportunity further, please submit your resume and a short cover letter to the Chief Executive Officer, Pene Hodge at email@example.com or Director - HR, Retha du Plessis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A detailed Position Description can be shared upon request.
Please detail any leadership, governance and/or board experience and your motivation for applying to Suited to Success