Principal Engineer Operations Planning
- Problem solve real time challenges on Queensland’s’ Transmission network
- Exposure to interesting & complex problems that will set your career apart
- Play your part in ensuring the QLD’s electricity transmission network is optimised
Provide strategic & complex power systems engineering solutions to ensure the transmission network is fully optimised.
At Powerlink, every possibility starts with you
We believe life’s about possibilities. And so’s the future.
That’s why we need you. As Principal Engineer Operations Planning, you’ll help us connect Queensland to an even brighter and more sustainable future, providing high voltage electricity to more than five million Queenslanders and 253,000 businesses. No matter your role, your work is about every light turned on. It’s every community connected and every future made possible.
Together, we’re working at the heart of Queensland’s energy transformation. Now more than ever, we need people who want to help us deliver the new energy future and ensure we’re ready to tackle the challenge of our lives. Join us and make it happen.
Find a career that matters and lasts
As a Principal Engineer Operations Planning, every day is different, with new and exciting problems you will solve as you grow your skills and experience every day. You’ll do it with a down-to-earth team who you’re proud to work with. Here’s how:
You will be a purpose-driven, subject matter expert in the business in providing power systems engineering analysis and solutions to ensure that the transmission network is operated in a safe, secure, reliable and compliant manner.
- Support effective operation of the transmission network with an aim to manage the demands of real-time operations.
- Provide analysis and advice on the operation of the transmission network in the National Electricity Market (NEM).
- Proactively build and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders, including customers, AEMO and the AER.
- Apply your subject matter expert knowledge to:
- Provide network capacity and capability analysis, offering expert subject matter advice on the delivery of alternate network solutions, remedial strategies and network support agreements to achieve optimum outcomes for all stakeholders and compliance with the NER.
- Provide advice on generation outlooks and demand/supply balance within Queensland and across the NEM.
- Provide detailed analysis and post-event reviews on critical network or market conditions giving advice to maintain an operable network.
- Operations engineering support, including power system security assessments, electricity market impact assessments, complex analyses and contingency planning for planned and unplanned outages of transmission plant to ensure efficient operation of the network and compliance with the NER.
What you’ll bring
- Degree qualification in Electrical Engineering
- Register Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ)
- Significant experience providing technical expertise in real time Operations
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of primary and secondary systems in a power system
- Demonstrated ability to utilise load flow software including Energy Management Systems (EMS).
We’d also love you to have:
- Knowledge of energy markets and system strength.
- Experience modelling Power Systems and compiling constraint equations.
What matters most is your drive to make an impact for the millions of people we serve. Through our core values of accountability, customer service, teamwork and safety, you’ll strive to question and challenge the ordinary every day
There’s lots to love about a career with Powerlink. But our people say there’s three things that really stand out:
- A career that matters and lasts: You’ll shape a progressive career connecting more than five million Queenslanders to a world-class, clean energy future.
- Unique work and the chance to grow: You’ll help find smart solutions to interesting problems as you develop your skills and impact every day.
- People who love to support and share: You’ll build relationships with experienced, down-to-earth people who you’ll be proud to work with.
You’ll also enjoy a range of benefits including:
- 14 weeks paid parental leave - at full or half pay
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities within a supportive and inclusive team, working with some of the best in the industry.
- Substitution of Public Holidays and flexible working options
- Free undercover parking and charging stations for electric vehicles and novated leasing options
- Access to a corporate health plan with employee discounts and annual flu vaccination
Be the start of every possibility
There’s so much opportunity for you to grab here. If this role sounds like it would suit you, we want to hear from you!
To apply, please click on the Apply button above. This will take you to our careers page, where you’ll start the application process by attaching your resume and cover letter. Applications close Sunday 25th February. Kindly be aware that the Recruitment team will commence the review process during this period.
If you’d like to find out more about this position, please reach out to our recruitment team at [email protected].
At Powerlink, we are committed to ensuring our workforce reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and harness the unique talents, perspectives and experiences of all people.
Throughout the recruitment process, we provide support for candidates to ensure nobody is disadvantaged. Please tell us about any adjustments, support or access requirements that may help make the recruitment process more inclusive. You are also welcome to share your pronouns with us at any point throughout the process.
Powerlink is a Veteran-Friendly Employer. We recognise the significant skills and value and Veterans can bring, and ensure Veterans have equal opportunity in gaining employment with us. If you’re a Veteran, feel free to let us know in your application or reach out to find out how we can support you.
As part of the recruitment process, the successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks which may include, but are not limited to: reference checks, criminal background checks, right to work eligibility, verification of academic qualifications, and bankruptcy check.
We’re proud to be a Circle Back Initiative Employer, and commit to respond to every applicant.