Engineering Chapter Lead (Mobile Experience)
The Game Changers:
At AP+ we're changing the game! We're doing big things, and we can't do it alone. We're part of a big ecosystem, and we know teamwork and passion for our purpose is what will make us successful. We value the unique talents, perspectives, of all our employees. This includes people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, First Nations Peoples, people of all abilities and diverse backgrounds, as well as their families. AP+ brings together Australia’s three domestic payment providers, BPAY Group, eftpos and NPP Australia, into one integrated entity. Bringing these businesses together enables AP+ to create a more competitive and coordinated Australian payments organisation that is strategically placed to respond to the impacts of regulatory and technological change today, and into the future.
Chapter Lead - Engineering
We’re adding an Engineering Chapter Lead to our already thriving team. As an Engineering Chapter Lead you’ll be playing a key role in the continual advancement of our engineering mastery and practices and remain highly aware of industry trends. As a Chapter Lead they’ll sacrifice some of their ‘on-tools’ time to take responsibility for ensuring our delivery process runs smoothly, our engineering practice is continuously improving and our resources are performing, engaged and allocated effectively.
- Handle the administrative tasks of hiring and onboarding new engineers.
- Act as manager for a number of direct reports of varied experience levels.
- Perform regular 1-on-1s with direct reports.
- Write and manage personal and career development goals for your direct reports. Support them as they strive to complete these goals.
- Manage and monitor the performance and wellbeing of your direct reports.
- Handle the performance review process in the scheduled performance review periods.
- Support the career development of your direct reports through promotion and salary review.
- Work with the Product Chapter to resource our delivery projects.
- Manage the activities of the Engineering Chapter (including meetings, process improvements and the task backlog).
- Work with the technical leads to set the direction on how we should deliver our products. Constantly iterate and improve on these processes and practices.
- Consult with other people managers across the business to ensure our policies and processes are consistent and can adapt to change.
- Report on issues with our practices and culture to the CTO. Be fully engaged in working through solutions to any raised issues.
- Be an engineering expert who can be called upon to speak with new customers and other interested parties.
- Our engineering chapter is constantly growing. We are far and away the largest chapter within Cowry and the only one which has multiple managers. You’ll need to collaborate well with the existing CL’s to ensure we have a consistent and clear direction for the chapter.
- Our parent organisation AP+ is undergoing a sizeable transformation. Cowry’s engineering practices have not - and should not - be affected by this but there is some uncertainty within our team.
- As our portfolio of products grows and each product matures the level of engineering sophistication required to manage them grows. We are in a period of rapid growth at the moment and the technical chapter leads play an important role in working through any rough edges in this process.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Prior experience as a software engineer (or equivalent)
- Demonstrated experience in end-to-end project delivery within agile organisations.
- People leadership experience with proven ability to lead personal and technical development.
- We need you to be a great communicator. You’ll need to represent engineering within Cowry, to the rest of AP+ and to external customers and vendors.
- We need you to be a great mentor who can help our engineers grow.
- You need to be willing to sacrifice ‘on-tools’ time to help others engineer well.
- Experience in payments/financial technology a plus but not a requirement.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering is a plus but not a requirement. We welcome candidates who have taken alternative pathways into engineering.
We know applying for a role can be a nerve-wracking experience, so we endeavor to review applications and plan to schedule screening interviews within the next two weeks. If you are among selected candidates, we’ll be in touch to schedule a phone interview. In any case, we will keep you posted on the status of your application.
We want to remove all barriers to inclusion so if you need advice or support with your application, we’re here to help. Please reach out to [email protected] We also encourage you to let us know your pronouns at any point during the recruitment process.