Director, Business Development and Commercialisation – Food and Beverage Accelerator (FaBA)
- Join UniQuest, Australia’s leading university commercialisation company.
- Play a leading part of the FaBA initiative to grow Australia’s food and beverage industry.
- Apply your business development and commercialisation experience to enable the development of new food and beverage products taken to market through company relationships.
About the Food and Beverage Accelerator (FaBA) Initiative
The University of Queensland (UQ) led Food and Beverage Accelerator (FaBA) is a $160 million initiative supported by a $50 million Trailblazer grant from the Australian Government over four years, backed by industry and innovation partners, along with Queensland University of Technology (QUT), the University of Southern Queensland (UniSQ), CSIRO and the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. The universities, industry partners and research collaborators will invest $110 million funding in the project to boost growth and innovation in the sector. The initiative aims to contribute to doubling the value of Australia’s food and beverage manufacturing sector by 2030, through a focus on new ingredients, creating innovative foods and beverages, and skills for the sector (KPIs for FaBA).
UniQuest is the commercialisation company of The University of Queensland and is leading the commercialisation activities for the initiative.
The Director, Business Development and Commercialisation - FaBA, will build new effective business relationships and commercialisation opportunities with industry and university partners leading to short, medium and long-term objectives aligned with FaBA strategy and KPIs.
This position is part of the FaBA Executive Team and will support the building of a broader ecosystem of industry engagement and workforce development associated with the food and beverage sector across Australia, catalysed by FaBA.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Support FaBA to deliver against the KPIs for growth and innovation through partnerships with industry, government and universities.
- Structure, negotiate and close partnering agreement with industry plus post-contract client management, to maximise value and enhance the reputation of FaBA.
- Find and close opportunities for licencing and the formation of new start-ups to support FaBA and Australis’s broader food and beverage ecosystem.
- Oversee the development, maintenance and management of the FaBA commercial opportunities pipeline from target identification, investment potential assessment, admission to the FaBA Alliance, and effective proposal and project development by researchers.
- Collaborate and build relationships with FaBA, industry, research partners and university academic and professional staff to ensure that project and contractual matters are managed consistently in line with FaBA objectives.
- Lead and support the Business Development and Commercialisation team to deliver successful outcomes for FaBA.
As the ideal candidate you will have experience of industry engagement and deal-making – whether that is research partnership, IP licensing or for a start-up company – from within a university and/or research-intensive environment.
You will have advanced skills in managing and influencing multi-stakeholder complex projects and ideally networks and technical experience in or related to the food and beverage industry.
The successful candidate will be driven to work collaboratively with others to see technologies and capabilities translated into products for consumers and industry, and be able to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment, navigating complexity with a client centric approach.
This is a rare opportunity to join Australia’s leading university commercialisation company, in a leading role to support the FaBA initiative to grow the food and beverage industry.
This is a fixed term contract for up to three years and the role is based at UniQuest’s offices on The University of Queensland’s St Lucia campus, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
For a copy of the Position Description please visit our website. Vacancies - UniQuest
Please send your CV and covering letter (essential), total of no more than 4 pages combined, to [email protected]
Applications close COB Thursday 22 February 2024
UniQuest is the commercialisation company of The University of Queensland (UQ). We partner with researchers to create impact through the commercialisation of UQ’s intellectual property (IP). Since 1984, UniQuest has facilitated more than 125 start-up companies built on UQ IP - a milestone unsurpassed by any other Australian university. These companies have gone on to raise more than A$950 million to take UQ technologies to market. UniQuest manages the Queensland Emory Drug Discovery Initiative (QEDDI) - a world-class small molecule drug discovery and development group dedicated to translating biomedical research into drug candidates for partnering. UniQuest’s track record includes the blockbuster HPV vaccine Gardasil® and start-up companies Spinifex Pharmaceuticals and Inflazome, which were acquired in two of the highest value university start-up exits in Australian history. Products containing UQ IP licensed by UniQuest have generated gross product sales of more than A$50 billion to-date, significantly contributing to global impact.
The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia’s leading teaching and research universities and ranks among the world’s top universities according to several key independent rankings. More than 56,000 current students study at UQ, which has won more national teaching awards than any other Australian university. UQ’s research has global impact, delivered by an interdisciplinary community of more than 1500 researchers across our six faculties, eight globally recognised research institutes and 100+ research centres.