Crop Protection and Entomology Technician
- Supporting insect pest and weed management research.
- Combination of field and laboratory work - hands on role.
- Cairns, QLD location.
Sugar Research Australia is owned by the Australian sugar industry and is a global leader in sugarcane industry research and development. SRA strives to shape the future prosperity of the Australian sugarcane industry through innovation and ingenuity.
This position provides support to researchers conducting experiments in the Wet Tropics and other sugarcane growing regions as required, focusing on insect pest and weed management and environmental impacts. Working closely with the Lead Entomologist and Weed Scientist, key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Operate farming equipment (sprayer/granular applicators, etc.) to apply pesticide treatments on research plots.
- Assist with pest/biomass/seed/soil sampling and assessment to ensure project milestones are met.
- Maintain accurate records of all trial activities as per project requirements.
- Collect, process and ship trial samples.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of project sensitive information.
- Any additional duties as required.
You will bring with you the following qualifications, capabilities and experience:
- Ability to conduct physical work in hot and humid environments.
- Practical experience in operation and minor maintenance of agricultural equipment.
- Ability to work within a team of researchers and technicians.
- Experience with sugarcane field work or similar.
- Computer skills and attention to detail required for data entry and recording.
- Demonstrated experience in rearing insects and/or insect identification.
- Demonstrated experience in laboratory work.
To see the full position description, please copy and paste the following link into your browser: https://sugarresearch.com.au/sugar_files/2023/09/Crop-Protectection-and-Entomology-Technician.pdf
Please note this is a Fixed Term role of 2 years and frequent intra-state travel may be required.
Applicants must have the right to work in Australia in order to apply. A working-holiday visa is not suitable due to the restriction of no more than 6 months' work with any one employer and sponsorship is not available. The successful applicant will also be required to undertake a medical screening and a police check.
If your capabilities and experience meet the requirements of the role and you would like to be part of our dedicated team, please click 'Apply' to submit your application no later than Wednesday 20 September 2023. Your application should include your resume and a statement clearly addressing the requirements of the position.